Today is April Fools’ Day, we DO NOT want our readers to feel like or to be the fool. For this April, we have assembled a 10 Action Item List for you to be the least foolish today and throughout the month!
- Get your ducks in a row. We have previously discussed on how to prepare for the next school year and we will continue to — April is the more than prudent time to think about next year and to start you educational map for the coming months.
- Get serious about grades. Ok, so maybe you took the winter off intensive studying and preparation. Time to get in study mode and enact scheduling that will make finals cramming a thing of the past!
- Enjoy the outdoors! For a lot of my readers, April is the first month of good weather and reasonable temperatures. It’s time to go with your family and enjoy the outdoors. If there is still inclement weather, consult our Cabin Fever Guide. Otherwise, enjoy the absolutely free outdoors or look for great nature excursions in your area.
- Reevaluate accommodations. If you have a child with a 504 plan or an IEP this is the time to evaluate whether the accommodations your child currently receives are working. If not, talk to your child’s teacher and counselor so you can have backup, come next year!
- Finalize summer extension activities. Figure out what your child is NOT enjoying as much in school and endeavor to make it fun through summer extension activities. Use google to search ZIP code and free activities in (subject) to find great bargains at enriching activities.
- Organize a family staycation! If you need to take summer vacation, organize with your boss or HR department to schedule vacation at the same time as everyone else in your family. Remember, many companies have a use-it-or-lose-it policy, so even if you are using it just to have a glamp-out, use it this summer!
- Plan, plan and then check the plan. This is the time to cross your T’s and dot your I’s when it comes to summer vacation. Are your children going to camp? This is the time to start assembly of the packing list and ship off the trucks. Is there anything else that you need to do to prepare for the best summer ever? April is the time.
- Spring cleaning! Spring cleaning happens to be my favorite time of the year, and I just call it cleaning. Spring is the time for you to take inventory of what you need to get rid of and what you need to organize. Go through your house, go through your children’s rooms and categorize things to keep, donate and sell!
- Yard sale (or even better street bazaar). After you have done your spring cleaning and have taken inventory, it is time to organize a yard sale or even better, get some neighbors in on the action. When I lived in a cul-de-sac, every season we would put on a cul-de-sac block party and sale. We would have a sale of all of our old things in the morning, including trading items between families, and then we would celebrate with a wonderful barbecue and legal fireworks.
- Ignore the April showers and bring on the flowers. This could be a great time for you to plant a mini garden for to tend to this summer and learn more about organic cooking, gardening and plant maintenance. Go to your local nursery and pick out some seeds and work on upping your families’ nutritional IQ!
If you follow just a couple of these 10 tips for having a great April, you’ll be far from a fool, instead, you will be the smartest and savviest person at your cul-de-sac party!