When the going gets tough…
Having a child with an exeptionality can be particularly draining – financially and of your patience and energy. Here are nine ways to take it down a notch… before you lose it.
- Find any excuse to get out of the house for a few minutes. Go get the mail, take the dog for a walk or even borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor. Get outside and enjoy a few minutes of clean air and quiet.
- Have a Mozart moment. Have an MP3 player for both you and your child. Each of you catch your own tunes. This might help with your child’s meltdown as much as it helps yours.
- Deep breathing. It sounds silly and it can feel silly, but it helps.
- Get help. Can you farm the child out to a grandparent for an overnight? You might both benefit from the break.
- Go green. Gardening is very therapeutic. Give it a try.
- Soak your feet in warm water with aromatherapy oils. Your house might look and sound like chaos, but it can smell like a spa and you’ll feel a little lighter.
- Have a cup of tea. Keep your favorite herbal aside, just for these moments.
- Computer break. Watch a silly YouTube clip, spend a few minutes researching your next vacation spot, hang out a bit on your favorite parents’ forum or even write a blog post.
- Of course, you can always lock yourself in your closet and call a friend.