The complications involved in volunteering as a family are infinitely counterbalanced by the benefits involved.
Making a difference in another’s life will improve the future of yourself as a parent, and of your children.
Here are seven ways your whole family will benefit from volunteering together:
- Family time, unplugged, together.
- Showing priority setting by example. This is important enough to spend time, effort that might otherwise be spent elsewhere.
- Learning that one can learn from every person and every situation.
- Fight the “I’m bored”s.
- Give possible career ideas for the future.
- Instill social consciousness.
- Great opportunity to observe your child, his social interaction skills, abilities, strengths and weaknesses.
And to match, here are seven ways to volunteer that are ideal for families:
- Habitat for humanity
- Soup kitchen
- Make care packages to send to soldiers.
- Your local elder care facility
- Running an event in your community
- Shoveling snow / mowing lawns for needy neighbors
- Invite (safe) guests into your home for a meal.
Where does your family volunteer? How have you benefited?